Choosing the right caster is crucial for keeping your equipment rolling along. With the wrong caster beneath your equipment, carts, etc., your operations can either come to a standstill or roll out of control. At RWM Casters, we are happy to help you select the ideal caster for your needs. We have a broad selection of sizes, styles, materials, and features that make it possible for us to create custom casters ideally suited for your operations.
Why Choice Matters
There are several critically important reasons to choose your casters carefully. These include:
- Safety. The right caster will roll over flooring and obstacles smoothly and with just the right amount of resistance to retain control over the caster’s motion.
- Ergonomics. Whether a cart weighs 1,000 pounds, or 10,000 pounds, moving it from point A to point B can cause considerable strain on the operator if you use the wrong caster.
- Efficiency. A smooth-rolling caster is an efficient caster. With the right caster beneath your carts, equipment, machinery, etc., you will achieve maximum efficiency and maintain productivity.
- Protection. Your flooring is equally as valuable as the equipment and inventory you roll across it. The right caster will protect your flooring from damage and reduce your long-term facility maintenance expenses.
Determining the Caster You Need
Finding the right fit for your needs is essential if you want to enjoy the safe, reliable, consistent operation you require. At RWM, we recommend considering the following factors in order to find the best caster for your operations:
- What load does the caster need to support?
- What are the conditions of the operating environment? Is there significant moisture, chemical exposure, uneven flooring, debris, etc.?
- What temperatures are prevalent within the operating environment?
- Will the caster come in contact with corrosive elements?
- Is noise reduction a desired trait?
- What types of brakes are required to bring the load to a smooth and complete stop?
- Will you use the caster for powered towing?
- Are there any regulatory standards your caster must comply with for your industry?
Weight Capacity and Wheel/Caster Size Matter
The bigger the wheel, the easier it will carry loads across the floor. Further, larger wheels are stronger and have the carrying capacity to move heavier loads. When choosing your casters and wheels, it’s vital to estimate the weight of the rolling carts, stock carts, machinery, etc. Once you have your estimate, it is always better to select a wheel that has more weight-bearing capacity than you think you will need. This gives you a buffer that you just might need.
Larger casters and wheels are ideal for uneven surfaces, softer surfaces, and surfaces where debris is present. Conversely, smaller wheels and casters have the advantage when a little resistance is in order. This makes them perfect for office chairs, sensitive equipment, medical carts, and fragile loads that you don’t want rolling away or toppling over. Their lower center of gravity makes smaller casters and wheels a more stable platform.
Do you have more questions about how to select the ideal caster or wheel for your needs? Contact the team at RWM by calling (800) 634-7704, and we will be happy to give you the assistance you need to choose the ideal setup for your business.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
Sign up form